Community Input To Spark Fireworks Decision
Would you like to see fireworks in Cowes or San Remo to celebrate the New Year? Now is your chance to have a say.
For many years now, Bass Coast Shire Council has undertaken fireworks on New Year’s Eve at 9.30pm in Inverloch and Coronet Bay to celebrate the past year and to welcome in the new one.
Cowes also hosted fireworks; however due to crowd numbers and behaviour, Council decided to cease Cowes’ midnight fireworks in 2004, and stop them altogether in 2010. Instead, fireworks have been held at the Carols by the Bay event in Cowes.
At the Council Meeting in May this year, Councillors discussed the possibility of introducing a New Year’s Eve fireworks display in San Remo, or reinstating the New Year’s Eve fireworks in Cowes.
Council’s Community and Economic Development Director, Steve Piasente, said there had been a number of arguments both for and against fireworks.
“A petition from traders seeking the reintroduction of New Year’s Eve fireworks in Cowes has been submitted to Council. The petition highlights the difficulties small businesses are facing in the current economic climate,” Mr Piasente said.
“We have also received feedback from some San Remo residents concerned about the potential poor behaviour fireworks could attract to their town; similar to what we’ve seen in Cowes in the past.”
Mr Piasente said Council is now giving the community a chance to have their opinions formally considered.
“Council felt that before it could make a decision, it was important to hear community views,” Mr Piasente said.
Surveys are now available to fill in from Council’s website or by visiting www.surveymonkey.com/s/fireworkssurvey, and are also available in hard copy in the 21 and 28 August editions of The Advertiser newspaper. All surveys must be completed and submitted online or returned to any Council Service Centre or Visitor Information Centre by 5.00pm on Friday, 30 August.