Bass Coast,

Council Focus On Community Halls


Bass Coast Shire Council is embarking on a community halls project after receiving almost $20,000 funding from Regional Development Victoria.

The project will identify issues and opportunities for each hall’s sustainability and growth, with each hall to have a plan developed and a clear priority of works identified.

Mayor, Cr Kimberley Brown, said the community will be invited to be a part of the project.

“The halls’ Committees of Management, user groups and other interested residents will all have the opportunity to make recommendations for the future maintenance and usage of their halls,” Cr Brown said.

“There is growing demand for community facilities where residents can gather for meetings and events. Council wants to ensure its facilities are well maintained and suit the long term needs of the community.”

The information collected will inform future Council spending and support grant applications for hall upgrades.

Cr Brown said the project will also provide a long term plan to maintain and potentially improve important community infrastructure.

“It will also support a more financially viable approach to facility maintenance and development as it will create a priority listing for each facility, and ensure they meet the long term needs of the community.”

Bass Coast has a low percentage of people living near public transport – 37 per cent compared to the State-wide average of 74 per cent.

“We need to ensure local facilities are available for local activities,” Cr Brown said.

“Bass Coast has a higher than state average attendance at local community events and a higher rate of volunteering than the state average.

“Local community meeting and activity spaces are critical to maintaining this positive level of activity in our communities.”

Committees of Management and user groups will be sent an invitation to participate in April.

Other interested people can call Council’s Community Planner, Kristen Yates-Matthews, on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211, or email if you would like to be involved in the consultation about your local hall.