Young Leaders begin their year
Bass Coast Shire Council once again recognised young leaders in our community with the 2017 Bass Coast Young Leaders Awards on Tuesday, 21 February at the RACV Inverloch Resort.
The Awards are an annual event where schools across the Shire are asked to select two young leaders from Grade 6 and Year 11.
Now in its 10th year, the Awards are continually growing, with a Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) category introduced this year to recognise leaders in alternative settings.
Jayde Albery-Caird, Molly Reggardo and Chloe Gray are the three students selected to represent the first Bass Coast Young Leaders in this category.
Before receiving their awards at the official ceremony on Tuesday, the students were interviewed and asked ‘who do you look up to as a leader in your community?’
While there was a strong focus on community leaders such as mums, dads, ballet teachers, and coaches, the responses also included iconic international leaders such as Nelson Mandela, Malala Yousafzai and Barack Obama.
Participants were also involved in a leadership workshop and lunch with Bass Coast Mayor, Cr Pamela Rothfield, and Deputy Mayor, Cr Brett Tessari.
The workshop encouraged the students to develop their leadership skills and provided a valuable networking opportunity where all participants from different schools could interact.
Cr Rothfield said she was delighted to be involved in the lunch and in presenting the students with their awards at the ceremony.
“These young Leaders are incredibly talented, passionate and humble. It was amazing to hear their stories and what they are already achieving at such a young age” Cr Rothfield said.
“I feel very confident they will continue do wonderful things, and I hope that some of them choose to keep Bass Coast as their home when they are older.”
The 2017 Young Leaders are:
- Bass Coast Specialist School – Luke Chetcuti and Tullen Lee
- Bass Valley Primary School – Hailey Bedford and George Blum
- Cowes Primary School – Ella Macphee and Finn Cashman
- Newhaven College (Primary) – Henry Peppard and Saffi Campbell-Walker
- Newhaven Primary School – Bella Schmidt and Blake Green
- San Remo Primary School – Tess Papas and Jordi Vanderkolk
- Inverloch Kongwak Primary School – Abbey Dwyer and Sebastian Toomey
- St Joseph's Primary School - Isaac Seuren and Eve Pollitt
- Wonthaggi North Primary School – Nicola Hales and Saher Biggs
- Wonthaggi Primary School – Eve Leversha and Ania Todd
- Newhaven College (Secondary) – Ellie Pearce and Harrison Smith
- Wonthaggi Secondary College – Jack Mendes and Jewel Massey-Chase
- Wonthaggi Secondary College VCAL – Chloe Gray
- Chisholm TAFE – Jayde Albery-Caird
- Wonthaggi Secondary College Community (Satellite) VCAL – Molly Reggardo